Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Don't repeat what I say

We used to have a thick ream of blank A4 paper. The children use it for drawing and for all sorts of paper craft. But the paper's almost all gone now.

Pia: Daddy, why don't we have any more blank paper?

Daddy: (wasn't aware we had run out) Why? Don't we have any more blank paper?

Pia: (suddenly angry) Daddy!  Don't ask me, I'm asking you!  Why don't we have any more blank paper?

Daddy: I know you're asking me.

Pia: But you are repeating what I say!

Daddy: (confused) I wasn't repeating. You asked me why we had no more blank paper. I asked you, 'Why? Don't we have any more blank paper?'

Pia: But they're the same words

And she was right. Same words, different punctuation. 

* * *

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vince,

Reminds me of the joke where a man and a woman were asked to punctuate the stream of words below:

Woman without her man is a savage

The man punctuated it thus:

Woman, wihout her man, is a savage.

The woman punctuated it thus:

Woman! Without her, man is a savage.

Interesting how different punctuation puts a completely different spin on things, huh?

Vince A said...

Hi Jun,

That's fun. I tried a couple of variations on that sentence:

Woman without her man. Is a savage.

Woman. Without her Man is.
A savage.

Woman without. Her man is a savage.