Friday, July 13, 2007

Blooming writer

The best way to improve your writing is to write, say the experts.

Dominic's grade in writing lags behind his grades in other subjects.  According to his teacher this is mostly because he doesn't write much of anything when she asks the students to write.  He writes one, two, or three sentences at the most.

We decided to help Dominic improve his skills and confidence by making him write short 'essays' every other day.  And we demanded that each essay be at least ten sentences long.

We gave him the freedom to pick his topic, but if he can't think of one we help by suggesting some. 

Here's his first essay,unedited (including reference to grandchildren we didn't know we had):

 

When I swim

When I swimed in the swimming pool. I played in the swimming pool. When I went with my children to the deap water. I, jumped in the deap water. I went up the swimming pool. I did it two more times. then I hanged on the monkey bars. then I went back on the water. where I started swimming. then I went up.

* * *

No comments: