Monday, April 30, 2007

Left behind. Bad Daddy.

What would you do...

...if you were all alone in school and all your classmates had already gone home and you don't know where you parents are and you don't know why they still haven't picked you up?

Daddy forgot the time and was very late coming to school to pick up Dominic.

As soon as I entered the shoolgrounds, I looked for him.  There was still about 300 meters to walk, but I could see him from a distance, no bigger than my thumbnail.  I waved my arm at him so he could see me and not be too worried anymore.  But he wasn't looking.

He was looking down at the ground, walking back and forth slowly across the playground, burdened with his backpack and his knapsack.

I was worried that he'd be crying.

Then, still from a distance, I saw him step up on a log, balance himself a little bit on it, then jump off.  He was amusing himself. He's not too worried.

But as I came up to him and could finally see his face, I saw tears had been flowing for a while.  Some had already dried.

He was happy to see us (I was with Sammy). He didn't complain.  Didn't even ask why we were so late.

No comments: